View Single Post
      02-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
sectachrome
Rep
Drives: 13' WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
The dealer is in business to make money so they will lowball you big time. Wholesale is obviously a lot lower than retail, 2015's within 200 miles of my location are retailing for around $37K by the BMW dealers. The 3 different BMW dealers cars all had between 20-30,000 miles so your retail value should be higher. Trying to trade a 1-2 year old car is about the worst financial deal anyone can put their selves into knowing you lose 20% just in year one and that's 20% off retail but a lot more than 20% on wholesale. I've been checking pricing because my lease runs out in May and my retail value is around $33K and residual is $30K on my 2014 (9,600 miles). I couldn't find 1 M235 with manual transmission within 200 miles of my location on Autotrader.
I've been watching the used M235i market for a while, hoping to get one soon. I agree with what you said here. I would expect to see your car selling for high 30's. Manual M235i's are also extremely rare. There is only one in my entire state, and it's not in great condition. I think you would have better luck selling privately, as there just aren't a lot of cars out there to choose from right now and personally I would be willing to pay a bit more for a well cared for, low mileage manual car. If I wanted an auto/X drive model, I would have a lot more options and could be pickier on price/options.

The depreciation on these from new is rough. I'm looking to spend about $35k, I can't imagine having paid $50k 2 years ago. I would guess that's pretty common among "luxury" brands though.
Appreciate 0