View Single Post
      01-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Unhappy CV joint going out with 9000mi?

So for about a month now I have had a ticking noise coming from my front left and right wheels. Initially brought it to BMW and they just cleaned the brakes and said they couldn't reproduce the noise. To no avail the noise came back shortly after leaving the dealer so its not the breaks.

Here are the facts:
2015 XDRIVE with only 9000mi.
Noise is constant but exacerbated when turning left or right.
Noise is only reproduced when car is on the ground, not lift.
Sounds almost metallic like. Clicking sounds is brought on when wheels are turning, doesn't matter if 5mph or 40mph its audible and constant.
Noise is coming from where the hub is not front gear box.

Possible Problem:
So I finally got time and took it to my trusted mechanic. We put it on the lift and tried reproducing the noise with the car in drive(Xdrive). No noise, because there needs to be weight on the wheels and the noise is exacerbated when turning left or right he highly thinks its the CV joint. Basically the area where the shaft that rotates my front wheels connects to the hub. It makes sense because the ticking noise happens with weight which means stress on the joint and the noise is exacerbated when turning left or right meaning the pulling on shaft/joint when ever you steer left or right.

I will be bringing the car to the dealer next week sometime and pointing all this out. Hopefully they can confirm what exactly it is this time around.

My Questions:
Dose anyone have a better idea or information to add? Has anyone experienced this before with such low mileage and what is the cause for this? Most importantly, BMW should cover the problem under warranty right?

Side note:
My car is FBO/JB4 and has wheel spacers. I dont think my dealer will make a fuss about the mods, however I am going to take the wheel spacers off before taking to them. Lets be honest tho, none of my mods could be real factor to this area? My mechanic stated cause would be from the roads, (pot holes, bumps etc.) My area dose have alot of bad roads and my tire are low low profile 19s M style wheels.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to relay any feedback

CV JOINT
Appreciate 0