10-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #57
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Fair enough.

1. This time around, practice releasing the clutch to the friction point (without any throttle) and then adding throttle to keep RPMs steady when you take off.

2. When shifting, generally, don't spend too much time with the clutch pedal between 0% and 100% depressed. Make your shifts briskly. Don't let RPM fall below where they would be in the next gear.

3. YouTube how to rev-match. Practice by rev matching 4th-3rd at about 35mph. That's like 1800 rpm in 4th to like 2300 in 3rd. You blip the gas pedal to bring the revs up from where they are in 4th to where they will be in 3rd while you're foot presses down on the clutch and then when you release the clutch quickly it should be smooth.

Mimic the behavior of a modern automatic transmission, basically.

It might sound hard at first, but it's really easy after doing it for a day or 2. 2nd gear will always be hardest to rev match, but always get it as close as you can.

Never downshift into first.

Oh, and btw, if you can't rev match, then only downshift if your at 2000 rpm or below. A downshift from 3000-5500 rpm (like, let's say 3rd to 2nd gear at 40 mph) without a rev match is really hard on the clutch.

Hope this helps, I'm sure if you have any questions I and other forum members can give you some more insights.

P.S. Maybe one of our European members can chime in. During a trip to Russia last year, I noticed that although many people "drive stick" such as cab drivers, everyone was really really really bad at it. They were really sloppy. They would rev to like 2500-3000 rpm and then release the clutch to move from a stop and then upshift at like 4000 rpm. Why is this? Why aren't Europeans taught how to properly drive a manual?
One other suggestion

When sitting at a light/stop dont sit there with the clutch pedal to the floor

Put the car in nuetral and let the clutch out

It saves a lot of wear and tear on springs/pilot bearing/etc
Appreciate 0