View Single Post
      09-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #21
BeerGuySQ4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i Xdrive MSport

228 Nav retrofit ... works great ... but more info

Just curious on experiences for those that have done the Nav retrofit.

This is relatively new for USA, and not many dealers have done this yet in states. It was straightforward to make sure which cars are compatible. Installation varies by vehicle and installed packages.

I bit the bullet to update my sons 2015 228i Xdrive MSport. It sounded pretty straightforward in other forums for other series.

At a minimum you can buy the OEM integrated retrofit parts for 25% off at select dealerships. I called and got a little better. (PM me for dealer info ... don't want my first post to appear as a sales pitch ... I'm a super mod on another forum so know my suspicions would be up).

Call it $700 for the discounted parts, (3 pieces), ... now installation.

The BMW installation instructions (25 pages covers all applications) callsl for 1.5 hours + coding/registration time which could runs 1+ hours. Actual time came in at 4 hours for total start to finish ... the installation assumes you have removed the glove box access, nav head unit and trim to access i-controller, (which gets replaced). I think 2-series is very tight so no rear access.

My BMW dealer (Sun Motor Cars in Central PA), was really good about it ... it was their first time and were very sensitive to the added cost which was a little learning for all of us.

In the end, very satisfied ... no regrets. We got a fantastic deal on this car with almost everything including M Sport pkg but missing technology package.

As an aside, my wife's 2016 5-series has the 8.8" screen ... makes me wonder if for all this work I should have upgrade to that size screen. I know others have done it in 3 and 5 series but not heard of in 2 series.

I've seen others have installed themselves, (got code on forum) or have dealers install pkg for around $1200-1500.
Appreciate 0