08-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #661
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
I think you misunderstood my question and concern about heat; I don't the temperature in the compartment I put my box in (it's actually quite cool), but the temperature between the engine head and the (plastic) engine cover, where my Racechip harness (actually, only one cable and just a short part of it) is placed.... I can imagine it must be very hot in there, and am concerned about the cable safety (or even a fire hazard, should the cable melt)? IS my concern unnecessary? As I said, there is another cable put there by the factory, which made me decided my Racechip cable could too - but now I feel uneasy about it.
Ah. Sorry. Yes, I misinterpreted what you wrote.

I can't speak for the RaceChip cables, but the AA8 harness seemed to be made of automotive-grade wires in semi-rigid plastic sheathing that looked very similar to the sort already around the engine bay. Part of the AA8 harness I ran around the front of the engine (from the right side) to the airbox and camshaft connections, and the sheathing ended up under the big plastic cover, but I wouldn't say any of it was super-close to any hot metal parts (no hotter than anywhere else under there). The only part of the engine that gets super-hot is the exhaust/turbo/downpipe area, and although part of the AA8 harness is certainly routed above that area, it's quite some way above, and certainly not the only cables there. The rest of the metal surely maxes out at ~250F (oil/coolant temperature). That's nothing for the proper grade of cable, which all these devices claim to use. As long as the cable isn't directly touching (unsheathed) a hot metal part, I'm sure you can sleep easy.
Appreciate 0