View Single Post
      08-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #135
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Almost all -- emphasis on 'almost' -- of this discussion is not constructive at all for anyone
I disagree entirely. Opening up a discussion about what people do not like about their 2 series is just as valuable as talking about what people DO like about their 2 series. For those of us who have not bought our car yet, we get an idea about what others see as the shortcomings of the car, so we can decide if we would see these as shortcomings as well. And for those who have bought their car, they get an idea as to whether or not the things they perceive as shortcomings, are seen as shortcomings by other people. You can say all you want that everyone has individual tastes, and that is true, but it is still certainly valuable data to see what people do and do not like about their cars. It's certainly valuable to get a viewpoint that isn't simply a car journalist who's owned and driven 100s of cars over the last 40 years.

Quote:
There's the weight but similar to the MB the AWD itself is rear biased, unlike an S3 or that CLA nonsense. Look at it this way - you're not Lewis Hamilton. And even if you were, 240 xDrive will have better driving dynamics than a 240 RWD when both are starting to slide down your hill in February. I've got a 235 RWD now and will be getting an xDrive next time. And going down to 17" rims w 40 rubber year round. There's track day ideal then real world ideal, based on where you are and what the roads are like.
Quote:
Whether you get AWD or RWD you should have summer tires for 9 months of year and winter tires for 3 months if you are in the upper midwest. I've had the RWD 135i and now AWD m235i; I greatly prefer the AWD car and don't find that I'm missing anything in the fun department from the RWD and that car I added an LSD and tune. What I do like is regardless or dry, rain, or snow I've got a car that does excellent in all those conditions. Also, if you plan to tune your car, you will get much better acceleration from a stop vs. spinning tires in the AWD version, this is amplified even more so in just light drizzle conditions and around corners.

The M235i is the only car/non-SUV in BMW's lineup that has the same suspension as the RWD counterpart when choosing AWD. The 335 and 535 are both mushy and raised suspensions vs. the RWD versions. So, if you preferred AWD in the 340 it will be that much better in the 240.

RWD with snows vs AWD with snows on a steep his is no comparison during a snow storm. Also, where I live in Chicago they don't plow the alley's and you have to go back and forth over ruts to get out of parking spots, this is a non issue with AWD and snows, but was an adventure in the 135i w/snows.
Thanks, this has made me feel a lot better about wanting the xDrive. Still think I should drive the RWD, though.

Quote:
Sure the M2 gets you more HP, larger brakes, wider track, swole body work, but to me that's about all I can think that's really setting the car apart. The hp, brakes, and body work, blue stitching on the seats aren't convincing enough for me to feel like the M2 is that "far superior" so the M235/240. An M2 owner may feel this way though, obviously..
I'm pretty sure most M2 owners feel this way. It's natural to emotionally defend what you own. I think it's fair to say that most M2 owners wouldn't want to "downgrade" to an M240i. I think we also have to admit that a good number of M235i/M240i owners wouldn't mind taking an M2 in the place of their car. The supply is just so short right now. But the M240/M235 certainly excels in some places where the M2 doesn't - such as having AWD as an option, having a brand new and more powerful/tunable motor, and in general being built as less of a race car. I think an M240i will blend in moreso than an M2, and I'm not really looking to stand out.
Appreciate 0