08-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #90
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
A bit of a reality check for some, if I may:

Nothing that is mass produced -- nothing -- is going to make you completely happy or 'tick all of the boxes'. This is partially why there is an aftermarket for automobiles of all shapes, sizes, and uses. Nothing produced for people other than yourself (read: thousands upon thousands in the case of a car model) is going to make someone else totally happy.

This is also partially why there is an aftermarket for other items that people feel immense passion for, or feel a need to make better for them beyond OEM. Two examples of this: musical instruments and stereo equipment. Two more: houses and furniture.

I could go on, but I've made my point. The right approach is to pursue the car that is closest to your ideal out of the box, then make it even closer if you desire or feel a need.

(Anecdote: I have my dream bass guitar. Is it stock? Hell no. It has the neck of one model, the body of another, aftermarket pickups and preamp, and I tested about 10 brands of strings on it before I found a set that truly made it sing.)
Well, it's that easy ... If you know what you want.

What if you aren't sure? If you like the handling and drive feel of the BMW but the soft luxury and aggressive sound of the Merc? And you aren't sure which you care about more?

Then you can buy one and add the features of the other - but this isn't always feasible.

With the Merc, I guess you can tune it to drive more aggressively. But with the BMW, if the interior doesn't meet your needs, what can you really do? Aftermarket interior? Sounds very complicated, if it's even possible, to get all new leather seats or a dash, and would probably be very expensive.

In the grand scheme of things, not being sure what luxury performance vehicle to buy is quite a great problem to have and I can't really complain as a 22-year old. And I guess I would love either car. Hard to imagine stepping in the M240i, pushing the start button and thinking "damn, I wish I had the HUD that the Mercedes has, I should have bought that car".
Appreciate 0