View Single Post
      08-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Trouble Falling in Love with the M235i

I want to start out by saying that I really like this car a lot. It is a great balance between luxury and sport and is really a great looking car. With that being said, I am having a hard time really loving this car.

Background: Previously owned a 2011 335i. Wanted to upgrade. Briefly owned a 2008 M3, which was awesome, but there were just too many issues with it to keep so reluctantly returned it under carmax return policy. Currently leasing 2016 m235i.

I posted my initial thoughts when I first picked up the car and mentioned that at the time I felt it was the perfect car for my situation. I felt it offered better daily driver qualities while still offering 8-9/10's of what the M3 had. After the honeymoon period, I have been able to reflect on it more. In all honesty, if I had never driven the m3 I would have never known. While I think it is a great step up from the 335i in terms of enjoyment, it just leaves something to be desired compared to the m3. Here are my key points:

Handling: The m3 felt like it was on rails. The steering feel and limited body roll gave me an experience I didn't realize was possible in a car. While I don't think the electric steering is as bad as people make it out to be in the 235, it just can't compare to the m3. The body movement in the 235 is a bit disappointing as it doesn't inspire nearly as much confidence going around a corner as the m3.

Engine: N/A vs. FI I know you've heard it all. Nothing can compare to the raw excitement that the N/A V8 noise makes and I don't think anyone really debates that. My biggest issue is the consistency. With a turbo, weather becomes a huge factor. On a really hot day, the car doesn't perform near what its capable of. Getting in a car and not knowing how its going to feel that day is a bit discouraging. While the V8 didn't have the low end torque, it was the same every day.

I know this turned into a bit of a comparison, but wanted to give reasons and explanation as to why I feel this way. While I do think the 235 is a great luxury and sports car, I feel the balance is more on the luxury side than I would have preferred. The m235i has all the creature comforts of a brand new car, plenty fast, decent handling, and a full warranty. On paper the m235i was 100% the right car for me and I really like it, but in terms of heart and emotion (at least compared to the m3) I just can't bring myself to truly love it.

Does anyone feel this way or has anyone had these feelings in the past? Is there anything that you did to make you truly love the car over any other options out there? Am I jaded after the m3, or were my expectations too high from what others were saying about the m235i? Am I just being ridiculous and expecting too much out of a perfectly good car?

My dream is to one day have a car that I can say, wow this is it I don't want anything else. Being a car enthusiast, I am not sure if that is possible. All I can say is that while I really like the m235i, I can't help but spend most of my time looking at what's next.
Appreciate 0