Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
WOW! Are you not interested in like say Cool Carbon Pads and some OEM rotors from Zimmerman . Way cheaper than the dealer. Less Dust and excellent Daily Driver pads.
DIY and bond with your car! Get the AC service by and independent and DIY on the rest.
If I do any bonding like that with my car, I'll be going to the shop for major repairs, not maintenance

Not sure about the brake pads, never given it much thought as they perform OK for me. If the rotors need to be replaced I will likely be going for the M Performance rotors (vented/dimpled ones):

Size is equal, they just look more fancy (no benefit otherwise AFAIK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
If you can't work on the car yourself find the most reliable BMW specific mechanic.

Oil change is a must, with the correct viscosity and certified oils.

Brake fluid change - along with front brake pads is coming due - the brake pads should be visually inspected for remaining life and the rotor thickness measured to confirm they have remaining life.

Have your engine filter removed and inspected, then either hand cleaned by knocking against palm or replaced along with visually inspecting air filter housing and vacuuming out housing.

Clean debris from base of windshield and around trunk drains. Replace windshield wipers.

Visually inspect battery and surrounding area for leaks or corrosion and test charge.

While car up on rack visually inspect front ball joint and with 12/6 grip push/pull for play, hand rotate wheel listening for bearing noise. Rear half-shafts inner and outter rubber boots inspected for tears. Front steering rack boots inspected for tears.
Drive shaft and control arms push/pulled for play. Exhaust inspected for whispy build-up from manifold to silencer looking for leaks.

Tire's felt for cupping, tears and nails.

So those are all the vital things to do.

After that as you approach 40-50k miles coolant, rear differential and transmission fluid.

It may not be cheap but it's worth doing things right.
Thanks! I just asked my local shop and dealer to provide me with a quote for:
- Oil refresh + oil filter replacement;
- Front brake pad replacement;
- Rear brake pad replacement;
- Brake fluid replacement;
- Measure brake rotors thickness (replace with 34106797602 front or 34206797598 rear if thickness not OK);
- Windshield wiper replacement;
- All-round check (V-belt, engine filter, coolant, anti-freeze, windows, lighting, (transmission) leaks, rubbers, windshield washers, battery, tires, heater, micro/interior filter, checking for play);
- Air-conditioning service.

Yeah, it probably will cost a pretty penny, but I'd rather pay some more now in an attempt to prevent any serious issues arising later on. The car feels very reliable and I want to keep it this way. I don't track the car or anything, but I am rather paranoid about maintenance.

Besides, if I ever decide to sell the car, the new owner can be sure he/she is not buying a barely-maintained abused car.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0