bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
my impression is that the reason the F22s are relatively heavy for their size(I do agree with you) is because they share their platform with the F30 cars. my understanding is that, at least from the perspective of weight, it is preferable to have the largest model on a given platform. this is secondary to the smaller model being stuck with the immutable elements of the large platform, notwithstanding reductions in wheelbase, track, etc. another good example is the mqb golf vs polo wherein the polo is the victim. I gather that the next gen 2 series and G cars will again share a platform(CLAR) so the 2 series may again suffer. I'm no expert by the way so feel free to shed more light.
That's what I've heard elsewhere as well, and from trusted sources. If there is any hope, it is that we're seeing significant weight loss at the upper end of BMW's range. The new 7-series lost a few hundred pounds of curb weight, so as that technology trickles down to the less expensive models, we should see some additional weight savings.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0