View Single Post
      05-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

The eternal 228 vs 235 decision.. my thoughts

ARgh, so torn right now. There are 2 very similar cars on the same lot - 228i and m235i. Both convertible, xdrive, mineral gray, coral red interior. Exactly what I'm looking for. Both have the same upgrades (technology package, drive assistance, cold weather). The 235 has the HK included. Otherwise, the 228 is spec'd with enough extras to be similar.

Price difference is only about $5500 MSRP. Any ideas if I would be able to get a better "deal" %-wise on the 228 vs m235 or does it really depend on region, dealer inventory, etc? I.e. is out the door price closer to 4k? And are the comparative residuals going to be higher for the 235 in 3 years? I've been checking the pricing forums and it always seems like people get way more below invoice on the m235 sales.

Before, it seemed like they were so far apart in price, but now that I've found such a similar configuration, it doesn't seem like much to bridge the gap to m235. I've driven both - they are both amazing. I was not able to discern the difference in the 228 being lighter and more balanced vs the 235, as many have noted, nor do I intend to ever track the car. The sound and power of the 235 is intoxicating, but I don't think I could ever really utilize a fraction of it on the street. I think I would rather be blasting the 228 vs limping in a 235, if the end result is I'm going the same speed (hope that makes sense).

Part of the reason why I am ditching my Audi (2015 A6, 3.0T prestige) is that the upper limit is too high. The supercharged V6 is so damn fast, most of the time I feel like I am barely driving it. In order to "push" the car, I would be going dangerous speeds, in order to feel the capabilities of the car, at low or higher speed roads. Net result = I don't really have fun in it anymore, despite it being a magnificent car.

I think the m235 had a lot more low end torque, so this may not be the case there. I do know, however, my wife hated it every time I pushed it a little, but was fine doing the same in the 228, even though we were actually going similar speeds. I think the massive torque of the 235 made it feel to her like we were driving recklessly, even though it wasn't the case. The 228 just felt fast and fun.

Comparison link with the 2 cars:
http://www.bmwofridgefield.com/new-i...1dc27847a40798

Anyway, I think I've made up my mind (228), just wanted to walk through my thought process in case it is helpful to anyone else reading that is trying to make the same decision.

Bozman
Appreciate 0