View Single Post
      04-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I'm just going to say this once (unless a moderator compels me to say this again for something like a Sticky):

Your "general" 2 Series owner isn't interested in spacers. It is not a "general" question about our cars. On the other hand, though this post about radio reception arguably belongs in the Nav/iDrive/Audio/Electronics subforum, the "general" owner would likely be interested in its content.

That's where one should draw the line.

I've participated in online forums since 1993. (Yes, they've been around that long.) I've been a moderator for two forums before -- one of which was very narrow in its participation, the other of which was even broader than this one. In both cases, forum discipline was far, far better than here.

Furthermore, I've been a participant in the following vehicle enthusiast forums:
- NASIOC
- VWVortex
- NorthAmericanMotoring
- The370z
- ClubLexus
- 8thGenCivic
- CRZforum
- several motorcycle-related forums

With the exception of ClubLexus (which is a mess) and 8thgenCivic (also a mess), all practiced forum posting discipline quite well -- even sites such as NASIOC, which has a TON of trolls and douches on it.

Why is it important? Searchability and decorum. Making search easier for forum vets and noobs alike makes the site more use-able, the conversations more valuable, and the experience more pleasant and just plain easier.

For instance: someone searching for good hub spacers for our cars is likely already fairly knowledgeable about wheels -- not necessarily about their 2 Series as a whole. So they almost certainly will know that the best place to look for info is the Wheels and Tires subforum. They won't even think of searching the General forum unless they don't find what they're looking for in the first place they look.

Guess what the first rule in Internet usage is? Minimize the steps needed to get to what you want. Too many steps means frustration and disconnection. Posting something that isn't "general" in the General subforum adds steps for most to find or participate in. What will happen? People will stop using this forum. Simple as that.

Snicker, laugh, sneer all you want, 2Banger . You're doing it wrong. A lot of you are. Just sayin'.

Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 2