View Single Post
      04-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #75
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I'm not sure what 2016 GMs look like, but as a guy who's owned both a Mustang and a Camaro since the turn of the century, I'm not really concerned with the performance of the drivetrain or the handling. My problems always stemmed more from broken door handles and cheap components like leather seats, glove compartments, emergency brakes, etc that fail well before they should.

The day the warranty for components ended was the day I started hating both cars. I'd be lying if I said I was even a little bit curious about the Camaro.

I'm never buying domestic again. The big three trained me to want more and now I do.
I have to respond to this one, as it's a blanket put-down of American cars, even though I'm risking another reprimand from VifferMike for going slightly off-topic.

Previous to this BMW, I owned a 2005 Mustang GT. I put 78,000 miles on it as a daily driver for 10 years, including plenty of snow and salt that come with New England winters. It was also driven quite hard, as I took it to HPDE track days every year. The car was stock other than Hawk HPS brake pads and ATE Super Blue fluid.

Bottom line is that the Mustang pictured in my avatar (that's me on track at Watkins Glen) had ZERO issues in those 10 years! It never went back to the dealer after I bought - not once. Never even had a minor issue as mentioned above. Everything worked up to the day I sold it, it didn't have a speck of rust anywhere, and it just got better with age. I did most of the maintenance myself in my garage, but there really wasn't much other than oil/filter changes (Mobil 1), brake pads and rotors, fuel filters, coolant flush, tires, and a battery.

Up until my BMW, it was the best car I ever owned. By far. Not only that, but 2005 was the big redesign year, and it didn't have any recalls or other issues that folks typically worry about.

Will my BMW last 10 years without having a single problem? Good question, and time will tell. So far, so good after one year. Only 9 to go! I do know that it can't possibly have a better reliability record than that Mustang.