View Single Post
      03-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #80
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Seals Installed

Collected and installed the seals today. They are a bit fiddly to install but don't take too long and need no tools. Haven't had time to go very far but the cabin is definitely quieter, losing some road noise (I think).

Here's my thoughts on fitting:

I started by opening the door wide and, working from inside, dropping the seal down beyond the hinges, straps etc so it was lightly wedged within the back of the wing (ie ahead of the door's inner leading edge. The rounded top of the seal has a recess for the prominent bolt which makes it easy to get it at the right height (and to tell the top of the seal from the bottom).

I chose then to work from half way down the seal and hook it around the flange of the front wing - the space to work is biggest there. Once a few inches are tucked in, the seal is quite well located so you can adjust the height. I then worked back up to the top, outside the car with the door partly open just pushing the seal by hand until it wrapped around the flange and sat neatly in place (my picture of the partly installed run of seal shows that it's obvious when it's correctly fitted).

At the top, from inside the door the curved section of the seal falls into place and tucks in if the height is right; if not, a gentle tug will still move it up and down at this stage. Then I worked down to the bottom.

The bottom end of the seal seems quite big. There's a kink in the bodywork and a matching kink in the seal - when they align it all just falls into place. Part of it disappears into the bodywork and the rest forms a rounded lip that protrudes a little towards the door. At the very bottom, there's quite a big lip.

Probably 5 minutes each side and the second one is much easier than the first, no great skill required: just a little patience.
Attached Images

Last edited by ThreeToTwo; 07-20-2016 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 13