View Single Post
      12-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
By applying the brakes and easing off them, i'm sure its easier on certain parts of the transmission than it being slammed into gear? theres no way it isnt.
While I agree with the summation that needing to shift into neutral and back without having the foot on the brake is lazy and a safety precaution, doing it at idle has no difference whether or not the brake is pressed.

The torque converter is moving regardless, and the car is going to be asked to select the gear electronically which doesn't matter if the brakes are applied, the engine is moving at the same speed.

Now if you come from the 16 year old days of being a bad driver when "Neutral dropping" was a thing (revving the engine in neutral then dropping it into low gear to do a burnout) then yes, that is terrible for the transmission because you're putting a very high rev & torque load into the torque converter and drive line.

Either way, shifting into neutral seems completely pointless unless your foot is so lazy that holding light pressure on the brakes is a problem.