05-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #60
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
similar to this guy ^^ i'm interested in getting downsizing my m3 for a smaller, less expensive, but still fun and track capable car. the m235i had my attention but then i came across the 228i with track package.

i honestly want a 99% daily driver that i can still have a blast with a couple times each year doing some lapping days in california along with some autocross here and there. i know yours is heavily modded, but from your perspective, do you think the m235i with LSD or the 228i with track pack would be better suited for this?

thanks for your help and i love the car! if i end up building the car into a full track car, i know where to turn
We haven't tested 228i with Track Handling Package side by side so I don't think I am qualified to make that comparison. The 228i handles better than the M235i most notably on tighter more technical tracks. It turns in much better under braking. The Wavetrac LSD I think is a great bang for the buck on the 228 and a lot cheaper than the BMW option.

I wish they still offered just the Sport brakes for $600. I think that is the most important thing as part of that package. If you are going to want to get a little bit more on the track you are going to have to upgrade the dampers so Adaptive M Suspension is a nice to have but not a dramatic difference on the track. Variable Sport Steering - eh not really needed - nice to have.

I guess my recommendation is if you are going track the car I would save the money on the Track Handling Package and just build up a 228i as you want more out of the car. First things first, get some nice light wheels and some bigger rubber. Then get a diff, especially if you are going to do autocross. Don't get me wrong, the M235i is a nice package but it does come at a price. I think a properly setup 228i will smoke a M235i in autocross all day long just for the fact of better turn in under braking. IMHO

Nick...
Appreciate 1