View Single Post
      04-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
There is an ancient Aztec saying that goes something like this: To understand a person, try walking up the Pyramid in their guaraches. (Sandals).

I'm happy you only have to change it twice a year. In California it is regularly 80-90 in the daytime and drops to 45-65 degrees in the evening. If you start driving from the coast inland, the temperature goes up 10 degrees in about 10 miles of distance which means that you start out without AC on the coast with the temp set to 65 degrees in car so it doesn't heat up the car, then as you drive inland or temp goes up, you turn AC on but now you set it to 72-74 so you don't freeze.

So seeing as California is a huge market for BMWs, the feature to sync was already there, it's just a simple thing, there is not force field separating the air from the drivers and passenger side, etc. It passes my test as stupid for them to take it away. If you had two capsules for driver and passenger and adjusted both, maybe it would make some sense but with all the BS gadget fluff features that new BMWs introduce, it makes no sense that they complicate a basic comfort feature as making it easy to adjust the cabin temp. They have complicated it, especially in a car where it is mostly driven with one person.

I hope that helps explain why some of us do think it's lame.
I sincerely don't understand the need for this much management of an automated system. My last car (a Mercedes) went six years, after being set on 70 and AUTO on day 1, and never changed other than the occasional MAX COOL and MAX DEFROST, as needed for speed to accomplish the temperature goal, and then back to 70 and AUTO. I don't think of it as having AC or Heat on; I set a temp I like and the car does whatever it needs to reach and maintain that. Worked very well across all four seasons each year. I let the car decide whether it needed to provide warm or cool air to reach my set temperature.

With the new 2, since August, it's been the same approach. Set it at 70 and AUTO and haven't moved it since last Summer, although in this car, it seems I do need to adjust the fan speed, unlike the Benz which did that on its own to meet the need.

Why do you need to be so actively involved with the HVAC to be comfortable once you set your preferred temp? Does your automated system not work well?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0