09-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #309
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I agree, though I'd contend that the smaller overall dimensions and shorter wheelbase do make for a sportier driving experience, all thing being equal.

A few things I'd hope/expect to see on the M2:
  • Carbon fiber roof
  • Lighter flywheel
  • Lowered, stiffened suspension
  • Limited slip differential
  • 350+ HP
  • Premium price

In other words, the same things the M4 has.

Of all the things listed, the lighter flywheel may be the most important. It's the secret sauce of any M powertrain (assuming you go with the 6MT).
I don't expect nor think they should do carbon roof. It makes it expensive and then it really would be not very different from M4. They need to keep the cost down for trackers and younger end. They can keep more weight down by just offering manual seats, no folding mirrors, no idrive, etc. It would be nice if they did all of this and carbon roof, but if choice was one or the other, I prefer just a stripper more focused version.

You make a great point on the flywheel. It is a key component that came on the 1M. Lightened flywheels spool faster than heavy ones but they also transmit more engine vibration. A heavier flywheel absorbs much of this and seems smoother and more comfortable. So I wonder which side BMW M will fall on with the M2? Already, they went comfortable on the 2 and 3 series suspension. If they follow the current trend, I don't see a lightened flywheel.

Now for those that work in a boolean world where the discussion can only be cushy or track car, we are not talking much more vibration! BMWs use dual mass flywheels which already dampen a lot of the vibration.
Appreciate 0