09-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #86
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I have gone over the reason what BMW are adding additional FWD vehicles in regards to sustaining MINI , Market demands and the progress of the customer that the days selling specifically for 10% market share for enthusiasts has long been dismissed by any manufacturer especially in the recent fragile economic climate. BMW need volume to sustain its independence and future.

If you want to know more then use the search button as I have mentioned it multiple times before.
I think we all understand that cars have to be sold in volume to pay the bills and keep the lights on. Plus we know many people looking at a BMW today do so mainly for the name, reputation, status, and luxury options available, not so much for the performance, track handling, driving dynamics, etc.

For us in the 10% though, we see: "Oh, the next 2 series is AWD/FWD. Meh. I'd get a 3 or 4 but those are so big now. Don't they sell something smaller with RWD? Oh, not anymore? Hmm. I guess I have to shop other brands now." Our only consolation is that many other manufacturers have also jumped on to the FWD train (VW/Audi, MB, etc.). We know FWD isn't inherently bad as there are many great cars from many manufacturers with FWD (MINI, hatches from Ford, VW, etc.) and people are buying those cars.

We just like our small RWD BMWs so we are hoping that BMW bucks this trend for the next generation. We know it might be a pipe dream as it would only appease the engineers and enthusiasts and not the bean counters, but still.
Appreciate 0