08-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Seeing how bmw direction is going and their way of marketing

Im not suprise that they will leave the best steering feel/programs for the M cars exclusively since EPS are now programmable

Buying a 3 series even with sports pkg is now like buying a camary/accord
OUCH, but kind of true.
While run of the mill sedans have improved in the handling and suspension departments, BMW has moved backwards.
All in an effort to bring softer dynamics to the buying public.
In that, BMW has succeeded. The F30 3 series has been a huge sales success, which means BMW doesn't have to listen to us more hard-core drivers who don't mind some stiffness in the suspension as long as we get more grip on the tarmac.
They don't care that we bitch about the number steering feel and lightened steering effort, because their sales have increased as the overall BMW has become softer all around in order to appeal to the brand buyers as the dismay of the brand drivers.

It is very true that even the sport/Msport versions are softer than they need to be. I'm often surprised at how many F30 sport/Msport owners love the "comfort" and even "ECO" modes.

You pick the "sport" or "Msport" and you dare drive it in anything except 'sport' or 'sport+' modes?
If you love the soggy non existent acceleration of ECO mode, then why o why get the sport/Msport variant, cause it "looks" cool?

IMO, th only aspect of concessions to softness that are good to have is the adaptive suspensions ability to go with a softer setting, which works nicely on long highway slogs.
But even if it wasn't there past BMW sport suspension calibrations worked perfectly for smooth highway driving.
Appreciate 0