View Single Post
      06-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #138
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I guess Porsche needs to drop the Cayenne since it doesn't fit their image, oh wait its 54% of Porsche sales. Times change, brands change, you grow or go out of business. Not every BMW is or needs to be an Ultimate Driving Machine because 90% of people don't give a shit. Just because there is a hard core group of enthusiasts doesn't mean the company could stay independent or in business with that business model. Where would BMW be without their X SUV's, probably owned by another company.
im absolutely with you on this. companies that do that, end up turning into... lotus

if some soccer mom wants to buy an X5 or an X3 (both my parents have F25 X3s, they aren't exactly sports car drivers but they like other things about the car) and that helps pay for development of shared tech / platforms then thats great.

BMW needs to spread the cost of things out. and if CF development is supported by eco / green types with the i3, and that leads to more CF on the M3, or a new DCT / twin turbo i-6's cost is spread out to the X6M and the M3 well... how is that not a good thing. as long as BMW has an offering for the hardcore, i could care less if they build cars for the bizarre 5 GT owner who wants to give BMW money.

BMW is the only company that was known for sporty cars that hasn't been taken over by another larger parent, because they diversified first. mercedes is really the only other one, and they always catered to the luxury broader audience.
Appreciate 0