Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
I don't doubt the engineers know what they are doing. But you seem to miss my point and that is the time efficiency of checking the oil. (I say this with a smile) It just takes longer to check it via the technology then it does mechanically. i really don't care all that much because most of the time my car is under full maintenance warranty. But when its not just nice to be able to check the oil quickly via a dipstick. It would be nice if they just had a sensor for checking while it was cold and in the oil pan like the dipstick does. But oh well its not going to deter me from buying a BMW. I have learned to role with the changes in society and find ways to make them efficient to my liking.
How is getting out of the car, opening the hood, grubbing around for the little stick, pulling it out, wiping it off, sticking it back in, pulling it out again, holding it up to the light to try to see the fresh clean oil, sticking it back in, and shutting the hood faster than just twiddling with the buttons on the turn signal lever the next time you take the car for a drive? If you are changing the oil, all you have to do is dump in six quarts. There is no need to check it right then, check it the next time you are driving somewhere anyway.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0