05-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
228i options (US)

I've been spending a lot of time with the Configurator on BMW's website, but I'm having trouble making up my mind on a couple of the options. I was hoping maybe you guys could help sway me one way or the other.

Dynamic handling package or not?
  • I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension depending on my mood, but the M Sport suspension may already be the ideal compromise between handling and ride. I generally like the ride on my sport packaged E90 328i, but there are certain roads where it can feel a little harsh. I've never questioned the handling.
  • The variable sport steering is probably something I'd get used to and end up liking, but I'm not sure I'd ever miss it if I didn't have it. I definitely didn't regret not getting it on my E90 328i.

M Sport Brakes or not?
  • If I have to make an emergency stop on the freeway, will these brakes bring me to a stop faster, or is the benefit mostly fade resistance after multiple hard stops?
  • Is the pedal feel significantly firmer with these brakes?

Technology Package or not?
  • Compared with a good smart phone, most in-car systems I've seen just aren't as good. BMW's may be good enough, but I'm just not sure.
  • The definite plus of an in-car system is that you don't have to suction-cup your phone to the dash or windshield.
  • The definite minus is $2,150.

M Sport vs. Sport Line?

I definitely want sport seats, so I need to get one of these lines. If I do decide to get the M Sport Brakes, I have to get M Sport. But if not, I'm kind of torn.
  • I actually like the Sport Line's wheels and red interior accent stripe a little better than what you get with the M Sport, but I really prefer the steering wheel you get with the M Sport.
  • I don't think fog lights are a big deal, but I'm kind of annoyed that you pay $700 extra to lose them.
  • The M Sport's aggressive front clip looks nice, but from the photos, it looks like it has these little black flaps in the corners that are just begging to get scraped.
  • From the back, it's a toss up for me, with the Sport Line looking more subtle, and the M Sport looking more racy.
  • The black mirror caps on the Sport Line are questionable, but they look like they may be less vulnerable to chips and scratches.
  • I guess I have to decide whether the sportier steering wheel is worth $700 to me.

Last edited by danimal; 05-31-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0