View Single Post
      05-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
What's the deal with the 6MT in the 228i?

I drove a manual 228i M Sport this morning, and I was surprised by the transmission. The throws were on the long side and almost disconcertingly light, and the clutch travel seemed longer that what I'm used to. I also noticed an annoying tendency for the engine to hold onto revs between shifts. It honestly felt more like a VW than a BMW.

From the descriptions I've read on this forum about the 235i's 6MT, I'm wondering if the 228i's is actually less sporty. I had a manual 128i M Sport as a loaner a couple years ago, and I remember being really impressed with the feel of that gearbox--the throws felt just right. I thought the 228's would feel similar, but somehow it didn't.

I should mention that I'm coming from an E90 328i with an M short shift kit, and my particular transmission has always required a purposeful shove to shift, particularly into the lower gears, so maybe I just needed more time to get used to it.

My other impressions of the car were generally positive. Compared with my normally aspirated 3.0-liter, the torque of this turbo engine is awesome. No complaints at all about the ride, handling, and braking. We didn't go on a good enough driving road to really judge the steering feel, but the heft was actually pretty decent in Sport mode. The seats, driving position, and interior quality seemed at least as good as on my car, which is good enough for me. Despite being pretty technical, I didn't really get too into fiddling with all the infotainment features, but I have the impression BMW's are better than average. I do wish this car could be had as a 4-door or 5-door in the U.S., but I can't deny that this is one very pretty coupe.

Back to the transmission, I have a couple questions:
  1. If you've experienced the manual in both the 228i and 235i, can you comment on whether you noticed a difference in feel? Was the 235i's sportier?
  2. Same question for the 228i vs. the 128i.
  3. For owners of a 228i with the manual, what do you think of it? Do you like the feel? Could you see yourself getting a short shift kit?

Thanks.

Last edited by danimal; 05-23-2014 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0