Updated May 20, 2014:
First sighting of M2 prototype has now been spotted on the Nurburgring! Photos and video added.
Original Post - May 8, 2014
We're excited to show you photos of the first BMW M2 (F87) prototype spotted! How do we know this is the M2?
• We've recently confirmed
that the M2 is coming at the end of 2015 - early 2016 so the timing of this prototype makes sense.
• Flared fenders and wider track.
• M3/M4 (19" Style 437M) wheels fitted for testing purposes. Even with these wider wheels, they are still tucked under the widened fenders.
• Same blue steel brakes as M3/M4, with positioning the same as the M3/M4 (different than the M235i and M235i Racing).
• Drilled rotors like M3/M4 (M235i is not drilled/slotted and M235i Racing (M Performance Brakes) are drilled and slotted).
• M limited slip differential (LSD) seen on prototype.
Obviously, we do not yet see the M2 bodywork (except for flared fenders) nor quad tail pipes as this is still a very early stage test mule, but if you recall, the early 1M prototypes (spy pics
) also did not have these elements early on. This prototype is only testing drivetrain and mechanicals
As development progresses, we should start to see the other M2 cosmetic elements added - special front and rear bumpers, side skirts, quad tail pipes and potentially a different hood, mirrors and/or trunk spoiler.
The M2 will begin production in late Fall 2015, for deliveries in late 2015 - early 2016. It will feature the N55 turbo inline 6 engine (N55B30T0), producing around 370-380 PS (365-375 HP).