bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I have a real problem with this comment. Randy is an excellent driver, he is no doubt very knowledgeable with the dynamics of the car while he is driving it but this comment almost makes me think he has something personal against the ///M division cars or someone who works there. I've been lucky enough to drive the M235i and for him to say there is no understeer and a slight oversteer dialed in compared to the 1M or any M3 seems crazy to me. The steering is nowhere near as good as the cars I just mentioned. He even went so far as to call the 1M turn in "lazy". Laughable.

The throttle response is good in the M235i but the 1M is better, even without pressing the M button for the remapped throttle response.

He loves the engine in the M235i but then says this about the 1M:

On the 1M engine... "The engine is smooth, the power is reasonably good, but in today's world, that's not a fast car. I'm telling ya, it is not a fast car in today's world. Maybe because I've just spent too much time in 500-horsepower cars." -RP

For more Randy Robst review of the 1M:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=1
Randy's remarks on the 1M really were strange. It's like the 1M beat him up and took his lunch money in middle-school and he used that review to exact his revenge.

I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with context. IIRC, when Randy was reviewing the 1M, it was at a time when MT was doing their "best driver's car" segment, so he was driving the 1M back to back with cars like the 911 GT3 and Corvette ZR1.

Not to mention, the difference in expectation. The 1M was a full on M-car. Maybe he was expecting more. I never got the opportunity to test drive a 1M, so I don't have any personal experience, but the short wheelbase of the 1-series gave it a general reputation as a feisty car to drive fast. I know my plain old 135i had a very abrupt feel to it. Bumps in the road would unsettle that car very easily compared to my brother-in-law's E92 335i coupe. Maybe that difference in character gave Randy a sour feeling, and he just kind of went off a cliff in terms of viewpoint.

Not really sure why I'm defending him, other than the fact that I appreciate his views, even if I don't always agree with him.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0