bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
It's a marketing thing... with NO meaningful dynamic advantage and VERY important disadvantages.
This is factually incorrect.

The advantage is clear illustrated by in-gear acceleration times for the M135i vs the CLA 45 AMG. I'd use the M235i as an example, but I haven't seen instrumented test yet. There is no reason to believe it will perform worse though.

Your entire argument is predicated upon this incorrect claim of fact. Until you rectify that, you haven't a leg to stand on.

You keep reasoning in black-and-white:

Turbocharging is either good or bad.

Four-cylinder engines are either good or bad.

Throttle response is either good or bad.

The CLA wins or loses.

I'm not sure how you make it through daily life with this kind of attitude. There is clearly a continuum here. The throttle response of the N55 is worse than, for example, the N52. However, the N55's throttle response is better than the M133.

The N55 makes far more power than the N52, yet there are plenty of members of the Bimmerpost forums who chose the 128i over the 135i, because they preferred the character of the N52. That's a valid choice.

Porsche clearly has a higher level of commitment to driving character than BMW. I'm not sure there are many people here who would argue against that. But again, the world is not black & white. Just because Porsche has a high level of commitment to driving character does not mean that BMW has zero commitment to similar values.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0