Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
I have a 2012 135i with M Sport pkg and Dinan Stage II tune, black grills, 6M, and no nav/i drive (in SGM). I prefer the taut purposeful proportions of the one over the more E92 like two series. The one is much more akin to the early three series in terms of compactness and the two is more like three's that followed a couple generations latter. I have always sought the most engaging option and in this case that will be buying the 135i in June when the lease ends.

I parked my car next to a new white M235i at the dealer and spent a good amount of time comparing the lines and the interiors. I strongly prefer the one from all angles and the sense of compactness, more a city car which is where I live. The one without the nav has a very clean dash and is mostly devoid of fussy matte chrome touches. The two has a busier look that for me is not a step in the right direction. Also I have the dark grey wood which would be a nice option on the M235i.

I did not do a test drive as I had already made up my mind. While the added length to the wheelbase and adjustable shocks on the two lend comfort, and the sport setting together with the length and wider track obviously improve the handling that is not enough to offset the pleasure I get from the character of the present car.

I've read the handling of the M235i is an improvement on the 1M which even if close is impressive. That said I lapped friends in Porsche's at Sears Pt in five laps so the 135i is no slouch. Your review confirms much of what I have read about how they stack up. I suspect I am in the minority regarding the aesthetics and BMW did a good job of listening to the larger customer base. Most seem to feel the one series nose is too stubby, the interior is too tight, and an improvement in performance is desirable.

Perhaps the two will grow on me more or an M2, if not overly done in styling details, will get me to change. In the meantime I'll enjoy the current car. Thanks for the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
After looking at those pics I still find myself still preferring the 1.
You both are quite correct that the 1er is no slouch - it is a controversial design - some love it, some hate it. I think it is really nice from certain angles, but the front was always the weak point IMO. But there are a lot of people who have told me over the last several years that they like the front. So it just depends on personal taste. Nothing wrong with that - and I will always smile when I see a 1er, because I have enjoyed the time I have had in both.