View Single Post
      01-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

I agree... BMW has a history of not bringing out models/items that would be in demand.

-No 1st gen Z4 M - Z4 M later announced - these cars continue to have great resale
-No Second Gen Z4M - Z435is later offerred - hasn't captured the market at all.
-No E46 M3 sedan - 330 ZHP later offered
-i8 instead of second Gen M1
-2 Series ActiveTourer instead of 2 Series GranCoupé
-not offering a limited slip Differentials in sport sedans - now being corrected as they begin to offer the M performance catalog

Clearly the comments indicated by this BMW rep show they are still too afraid to really focus on a car that is below the almighty bread and butter 3 (now 3/4 series). Many dealers unwittingly attempt to step buyers from a 1 series to a 3 series sedan as opposed to simply selling a 1 series to a happy owner and then hoping that person moves upmarket or returns for their second BMW purchase. The ones that can afford a 3 series or fit a 3 series in their garage are ok.. but many customers leave and go to Infiniti (G35/G37) Mercedes (CL), or Lexus IS.

The fact that the current 3 series is actually larger inside than an E39 5 series is a clear indicator that the 3 series has completely moved up to a different market segment. Rather than bring in a small car to take up this gap... instead.. they will continue to lose the overall sales crown to Mercedes in the US because Mercedes has

- realized a small car is needed
- dropped to a price point below 30K for an entry level luxury sedan

BMW has the X1, but it is still priced above 30K and is an SUV and not a sedan.

Thousands of E36 fans are simply going to continue to be alienated if this is actually true. What is AMAZING is that Mr. Diess ACKNOWLEDGES that the take rate of a 2 series sedan would be high. That, my friends is ignorance in action.

Hopefully the rest of the board doesn't have the same short sightedness that Mr. Diess is afflicted with.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-30-2014 at 05:55 PM.