10-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #119
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 寶馬.E90 View Post
If the M235i is quicker around a track than the 1M (source), is there any reason why BMW would rush or consider a M2? If M235i will be quicker than the 1M, in my eyes it's already a successor to the 1M without the badge. Maybe someone can remember, but I don't recall any next gen car besting the a M car from the previous generation. IIRC, the E92 335i was 4 seconds slower than the E46 M3 around the Nurburgring.

The way I see this is for those waiting for a M2, this news is a bummer but if you're looking for a performer similar to the 1M, the M235i works at a lower price tag and no limited-production.
This is exactly what BMW want you and others to believe obviously. I will dare to bet that Ring time is already there (or at least targeted very seriously) waiting to be announced at launch and set for something as close as 8.14 (1 seconds faster than Sport Auto number for 1M), done by a better pilot with a car loaded with performance options, Michelin PSS and no other type of heavy options, just to convince potential buyers "to not wait for a late comer M2", since it is as fast or faster than a 1M, right? Well not so right imho.

A 1M is as fast and in most cases faster than a manual E92 M3, period. And there are a lot of other areas of performance too, not only 0-60 or a Ring time. So, if this M235i is really a more performant car than both 1M and M3 which mimic each others real world data very closely, I would really, sincerely like to see that. Sure, 8 speed auto and better tires and more efficient suspension will help but it won't be really enough, I can't see that happening and am sure that independent magazine tests, comparos will agree.

I posted this before: Guys, don't buy every marketing word, ask for a proper M2 to come early, wish bigger! That's how 1M happened albeit for a short period of time and at limited quantities. This passive line of thinking will lead BMW to focus on just the MPerformance cars I am afraid. BMW's reluctance to confirm an eventual M2 in production should be seen as a sign.

My 2c.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-09-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0