05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #166
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You are clearly in for a lot of disappointment. As for it being slower than an M235i in a straight line, sure, I really don't care. I'm okay with the M235i catering to the recent round of hp folks that BMW has attracted since the N54 came along and the M2 catering to the longer term BMW fans who were accustomed to BMW's not necessarily being straight line performers, but balanced performers that could out handle most other cars. Think E36 (euro) or E46 M3's. With the F8x car providing good power and lots of torque, I really hope BMW takes a different approach with the M2 and doesn't chase magazine numbers, but goes for the fun to drive factor like they achieved with the 1M.
While 400 Hp is definitely not gonna happen, I completely disagree with your post also. You are in a very tiny minority of buyers who does not care about straight line speed, and Hp numbers. There is no way BMW can charge more for a car that is slower than the M235i. Not happening

Since you mentioned the M2's predecessor the 1M, BMW has already shown that they can make a car that is both fast in a straight line and a lot of fun to drive. Why mess with a winning formula?

The cheaper route for BMW (which also happens to be the preferred option by most on this forum according to this survey) is to continue the same formula of the 1M, with a little more power from a Turbo I6 and a little less weight. 350-360 Hp and 3200 lbs would be realistic in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0