05-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #142
Hoosiers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Threads like this really bring out the wingnuts. There's so much crazy talk in here it hurts my brain.

1) The E30 M3 with an S14 engine was a dream of a car. Unfortunately, it's never coming back. Repeat that aloud: The E30 M3 is never coming back. The E30 M3 weighed just over 2800 lbs. Between airbags, side-impact protection, crumple zones, passenger safety zones, power electric seats, sound deadening, dual-zone climate control systems, and infotainment systems with huge screens and computers to drive them, we won't see the south side of 3000 lbs out of a BMW until they start using composites *heavily*. That's a ways off, so don't count on it for the M2.

Having said that, if you want a 2800-2900 lb sporty car powered by a naturally aspirated four-cylinder, you can get one today! It's called a Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS. Go drive one and get back to us. I have a feeling you'll still be waiting for the M2. It's really easy to wax nostalgic when history is so distant. The E30 M3 was an incredible car in its day, but

2) Another thing that's gone for good is the small displacement, high-revving, naturally aspirated engine. Even Porsche is said to be considering a turbo 4 for the Caymen/Boxter on the high end. In order to meet corporate fleet fuel economy standards, auto makers are going to have to sell *more* turbocharged cars, not less.

If you find yourself wishing for some magical 120 HP/liter, naturally aspirated wonder-engine, then go ahead and cry yourself to sleep now. You have a much better chance of dreaming about one than you do seeing one in the M2. Sorry to be such a dream-smasher, but you sound like a crazy old man spouting about the good ol' days of 8k RPM redlines. Just stop. They're gone. We're all gonna miss them.
At first I thought you were referring to only BMW giving up on the high revving NA engines, but you brought up Porsche. You say the "good ol' days of 8k RPM" is over. Porsche disagrees. See 2014 GT3 9,000 RPM NA 3.8.
Appreciate 0