View Single Post
      03-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If we look at it from a logical perspective then M2 would be a four cylinder, I am not sure whether it will be the defining choice but they have done extensive work at Garching on a four cylinder which was fitted in the bowels of an X1 and tested around BMWs private test tracks in Germany.

Again the success of the 1M is purely down to the car itself not the numbers.
Sure , there was another rival that put the numbers first and at the end of the day who had the better or shall I say memorable car?

Again at M the numbers are secondary , just as long as you get the perfect balance of performance and precision.
An M2 cannot encroach on an M3 or M4 for that matter so there will not be a higher jump in the numbers. The benchmark for the M2? It's the 1M it done everything right and true to the passion of M it is and will be memorable.
Although I understand that engineers cannot wait to get hold of the AMG A/CLA-Klasse to measure it against the 1M and of course the M135i.

The lukewarm reaction to the CLA by the media has spurned BMW to enter this market by mid-2015. With mechanicals etc shared with the forthcoming Coupe a lot of the work has already been done meaning possibly an eighteen month window from development to reality.

The four door Gran Coupe intends to bring M Power to a new customer base in both M235i and M2 designation , the US will also receive a 228i and European customers will be offered other four petrol and Diesel engines. XDrive will also feature along with the M235i but looking unlikely for the M2.

BMW intend to see how the Audi RSQ3 performs before committing to a possible X1M which could actually make its debut in its final years like the 1M p or held over until the next generation. BMW are keen to offer a compact M SAV as customer demand is apparent especially in the US.