Following the 2 Series Convertible
sightings, we bring you the first ever look at the highly anticipated BMW 2 Series Coupe (F22). Why is it highly anticipated? Many BMW enthusiasts hope that it will hark back to the days of a smaller, lighter, nimbler BMW coupe - a role which the 3 Series Coupe (now 4 Series Coupe) seems to have abandoned. The hope is that the 2 Series Coupe will be the E46 3 Series Coupe, incarnate.
Not only do we see the standard 2 Series coupe (228i, 235i or other model) on the truck, but the M235i coupe appears front and center! The BMW M235i coupe is expected to be the very first model of the BMW M Performance cars lineup to come to the North American market. A convertible M235i is also rumored to be coming.
There's little doubt that the the middle model is the M235i as it features the telltale parts. It shares its wheels, M Sport brakes, and black double exhaust pipes from the M135i. This particular M235i even appears to be painted Estoril Blue II, the launch color for the M135i. A trunk spoiler lip can also be seen clearly, but the rear bumper design is still obscured with very heavy cladding (you can see the raised camouflage panels in the closeup images). Finally, we see for the first time, that the 2 Series xenon headlights will feature squared-off angel eyes / corona rings.
The M235i should essentially be a coupe version of the very well received M135i
, powered by the same N55 engine configuration - a turbo 3.0L inline-six rated at 320 horsepower (6 cylinder sound confirmed by our photographer's ears at the scene), paired with a six-speed manual or a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, but all-wheel drive may be offered in some markets.
For a preview of what to expect from the M235i, the M135i features 320hp (@5800rpm) / 332 lb-ft torque (@1250-5000rpm). It's quoted from 0-62mph (0-100kmh) at 5.1 / 4.9 seconds (manual/auto), but real life tests have already resulted in 0-60 in 4.49 seconds (from Chris Harris review
Also see the following detailed info on the M135i:
BMW M135i Project Manager, Christof Lischka, Speaks About... M135i
Official BMW M135i Info Thread
2 SERIES LINEUP
The M235i coupe will not
be a replacement for an expected future M2 coupe model (the successor to the E82 1M Coupe). Instead, it's a model which can be viewed as the successor to the current 135is coupe, to slot in between the standard 235i coupe and the M2.
The 2 Series models will be built on the same RWD platform as the current 1 Series hatchbacks (F20/F21) and is expected to spawn the following lineup:
• 2 Series Coupe (F22)
• 2 Series Convertible (F23)
• 2 Series Gran Coupe (four door coupe) - still speculative [more info].
• 2 Series Gran Sports Tourer (Hyundai Veloster type vehicle) - still highly speculative [more info].
• M235i M Performance Automobile - as now spotted and confirmed.
• M2 Coupe - successor to current 1M coupe, recently rumored to be 4 Cylinder [more info] (though we have our doubts as the M235i is likely to share the M135i's six cylinder inline engine and our photographer confirms clearly hearing a 6 cylinder in the M235i prototype).
• M2 Gran Coupe - M version of 2 Series Gran Coupe to compete with Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG and Audi S3 Sedan; still speculative [more info].
Also see the latest summary of the potential 1 Series, 2 Series, M2, Z1, Z2, and X1 lineup
The 2 Series will begin production in November 2013, as a 2014 model year.
Follow our 2 Series news, coverage, and updates @ http://www.bimmerpost.com/2-series/
* Click on images for high resolution versions *